M/T Antonis I. Angelicoussis - LNG-DF VLCC (Samsung 2023)

A photo of the M/T Antonis I. Angelicoussis, built in Samsung Heavy Industries in January 2023, the first vessel from a series of four (4) LNG-dual fueled VLCCs, managed by Maran Tankers Management and named after the influential founder of the Angelicoussis Group.
These four (4) LNG-dual fueled VLCCs embody reliability, efficiency, and operational flexibility, thanks to their latest generation dual-fueled MAN ES 7G80 ME-GI Tier III main engine, modern diesel generators, dual-fuel auxiliary boilers, and a shaft generator (PTO) that increases energy efficiency.
They are capable of consuming both liquid fuel (VLSFO and MGO) and LNG (gas fuel), they are equipped with high-pressure IMO Type C LNG tanks with a combined capacity of 7,500 m3 and a redundant fuel gas supply system with equipment made by reputable makers.
In addition to their impressive design features, the MTM Samsung dual fueled VLCCs are fitted with the ORCA artificial intelligence-based navigation and collision avoidance system, energy saving variable frequency drives for engine room fans and cooling sea water pumps, an enhanced shaft-alignment class notation, HMPE ropes, and a real-time performance monitoring system with shaft torque meter and Coriolis-type flowmeters for fuel and gas.
Thanks to their efficient machinery, hydrodynamic hull and propeller design, advanced anti-fouling technology and energy-saving devices like the rudder bulb and stator fins, these ships can achieve a 40% reduction in EEDI compared to the EEDI Phase 0 baseline.
They are considered as the VLCCs with the lowest EEDI currently in the world.

6 Likes

Good information, thanks. Do you have more details on this ship, how EEDI is met with latest technology & other features for this vessel :ship: in details . Thanks in advance

1 Like

Hello!
The state of the art LNG DF ME-GI M/E and the shaft generator (PTO) contribute a lot in the reduction of the EEDI.
The vessel is already in (voluntary) compliance with EEDI Level 3.

1 Like

“History repeats itself”
The “old” M/T Antonis I. Angelicoussis delivered from Daewoo in 2000.
One of the most efficient VLCCs of its time.

3 Likes

Good day Liadis, appreciate if you could share some details handout in PDF for said project sharing for knowledge purpose.
Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Paraschos was this notation considered because you installed a PTO or you would have applied in any case?

1 Like

This notation would have been applied in any case. It ensures a more thorough review of the design calculations / drawings and a greater attention during shafting alignment/installation.

1 Like