Fuel EU - Wind assisted propulsion

Hello all!

Would a vessel retrofitted with wind assisted propulsion get 0 euros Fuel EU penalty from 2025 onwards? Even if the wind assisted propulsion is not actually used?

3 Likes

Hello.
Not exactly. In Fuel Eu maritime there is a score (GHGIE) that you are achieving that is measured in grCO2eq/MJ. This measurement unit means “how much greenhouse gas am I emitting per energy unit I am consuming”.

There is the required and the achieved GHGIE. The required GHGIE is getting stricter as time goes by.

In the formula for calculating the GHGIE, two current technologies lower the achieved GHGIE. The wind-assisted propulsion (depending on how much power the WAPS can generate) and the use of onshore power supply.
Those two technologies will achieve the achieved_GHGIE < required_GHGIE for much longer, resulting in 0 euros Fuel EU penalty.
At some point however the required GHGIE will get low enough that more measures will need to be taken to achieve zero penalty. The factor applies even if the WAPS is not actually used however why wouldn’t you use something that generates energy?

2 Likes

In the calculation of greenhouse gas (GHG) intensity, there is a factor known as fwind that benefits vessels equipped with Wind Assisted Propulsion Systems (WAPS).

The formula for GHG intensity, measured in grams of CO2 equivalent per megajoule (gCO2eq)/MJ, is as follows:

GHG intensity = fwind x (WtT + TtW)

The reward factor for WAPS varies, with possible values of 0.95, 0.97, and 0.99. That’s based on the ratio of Pwind/Prop, as outlined in the 2021 Guidance on Treatment of Innovative Technologies for Calculation and Verification of Energy Efficiency Design Index (EEDI) MEPC.1-Circ.896.pdf (1.2 MB)

Therefore, if a vessel be fitted with WAPS, it may achieve a reduction in GHG intensity of up to 5 percent only by the system’s installation onboard.

5 Likes

Thank you Iro. You might not be able to use the wind assisted propulsion due to a technical malfunction or commissioning issue. So my question was focused on that case.

1 Like

Thank you!!

1 Like